Friday, July 29, 2011

Back to School What's for Dinner?

Well, I've come across 2 linky parties asking for recipes for things you cook on a busy schedule. Growing Kinders and Clutter Free Classroom are each hosting one. I thought, "Now that's what I need!" So to add to the list I thought I would add my easy go to recipe. I'm not sure that it is exactly a precise recipe as I tend to fall more into the add a little of this or little of that kind of cooking. My family loves it when I experiment. My crock pot is definitely my best friend in the kitchen. There are no exact measurements as I usually throw in what I have.

Southwest Chicken Soup
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 per person is about what I plan for)
1 T. chopped garlic
1 cup salsa (whatever your favorite is)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup water
Cover and put on low for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken and put back in pot.
Add
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn drained
1 carton or can of chicken stock (amount depends on how much chicken)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
Cover and cook for another hour.

You can serve with sour cream and shredded cheese or rice if you would like. All amounts can be adjusted to your personal taste. Like I said, there is a lot of throwing this and that in when I cook. Time is also flexible. I put this on in the morning before I leave and then come home and add the final ingredients and let it finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment